Social butterflies....

What a social week!  It’s all been really fun but I think I am socially tapped out.  I imagine this is how introverts must feel on a regular basis.  It takes a lot to push me there, but I’m craving a night alone, doing nothing except watching bad tv.    The good thing about feeling this way means it has been a really fun and busy week. 

Last Friday was Warren’s birthday.  On Thursday, we went to Pacific Fusion, the restaurant on USP’s campus with friends to celebrate and just to spend some time together.   We followed it by a night cap a the holiday inn.  For Warren’s actual birthday, we had a lazy morning (it was a holiday for him) and then met Davey for lunch.  We went to  our first live Rugby match afterwards and watched the Fijians in action.  They are incredible!   We had a quiet dinner at home and then went to a party at a friend’s house with a DJ (not common here).   It turned out to be a late, fun night.   After such a big day, we had a much needed quiet day and night as a family.  

A little champagne for the special occasion!

Fiji Rugby




Happy birthday Daddy




On Sunday we had some playdates and birthday parties.   The work week was in full swing and then on Thursday I somehow found myself hosting the AWA (American Women’s/Welcoming Association) Thanksgiving lunch.   I wish I someone who could host a lot of people in my home and feel no stress.   It really should have been the least stressful party ever.  Everyone brought a dish.  AWA provided paperware for the dishes.   Drinks were provided.   Tables and chairs were rented, delivered, and set up.  Jeli was here all day to help set up, serve, and clean up.    Why in the world would that be stressful?  I think I have severe host anxiety despite the ease of this event.  The night before I couldn’t even sleep.  It's so silly because of course there are much bigger things in life to worry about than a gathering in my home.    I was being crazy!  At one point, Zoe asked me why I was cleaning my room because no one would go in my room.  Instead of saying something proper like, “Well, it’s nice to keep our things clean even when people don’t come over,” I said something really appropriate like, “I’m cleaning in here because chances are someone will sneak away and walk into our bedroom and when they do they will judge me.”  She refuted my claim, but she’s too young to know.   

In the end, the event was nice.  People were in the house from 9 to 3 and it went by quickly.   I spoke with a lot of people I hadn’t met before and truly never felt judged or stressed.  It was completely silly to stress over such a thing.   From the luncheon, I rushed to school with the girls for arts night and watched Andie sing in the choir.   From there, Liz and I pulled a superman and changed in the car from our arts night clothes so fancy gala wear for an event at the GPH.  

Triple bday party

A friend gave Andie an old dress and she's pleased!

Love LOVE love the mangoes on the side of the road.  Maybe I shouldn't be eating 3 a day?  Can't resist!

The girls got a hat and gloves for our trip.  They haven't worn winter gear in 3 years.  They were so excited they had to put it on immediately, until they got too hot!


AWA party in full effect


Love the shoes outside at all parties


Thank goodness for Jeli!  She makes everything better!

Andie singing at art night

Prevent Family Violence gala

Rosi Battie with friends


Rosi Battie, the 2015 Australian of the year, was the keynote speaker at this gala raising funds for family violence prevention.   She shared her life story with us, focusing on the tragedy of her son.  Her nine year old son’s father brutally murdered their son with a bat and knife at his cricket practice.  He did this to punish Rosi for the rest of her life.  Since then, she has poured all of her energy and resources into preventing family violence.   Her story is heartbreaking and a huge reminder that we have so far to go in gender equality.  Rosi is a middle/upper class Australian.   This could happen to anyone.   Here in Fiji, I found out that 53% of women surveyed believe that sometimes women deserve to be beaten by their husbands.    Rosi spoke a lot about the need for men to stand up to men instead of turn away or ignore.  She talked about not only physical violence, but also financial, power, and emotional violence.   The older I get, the more and more feminist I become.

On Friday we hosted another big party.  All of Warren’s Peace Corps staff were invited for a day of eating, drinking, singing, telling stories ,and dancing.  I loved hearing their beautiful Fijian voices in song throughout most of the day.   I learned a lot too.   For one of the songs, they were telling me what the lyrics meant about two rival villages, and how because two of the staff were from rival villages, one had to get up and dance with the other.  They were all teasing and laughing hysterically.  I also learned that of course it’s fine in good fun when it comes to dancing and singing, but that often people take advantage of their status or rank over others, and can get away with some terrible things.  Of course, this was not the case on Friday at our house.   It was such a peaceful, happy get together.  There is something about everyone harmonizing while looking out at beautiful Fiji that just feels so good.  I am so thankful to be here and experience these moments.














leaves that the lovo was cooked in






These two.   Zoë had Allora spend the night Friday too.  They are so amazing together....Who would believe they are the same age given their height difference?

They read for two hours on Saturday morning!

Saturday morning we went for a long run and then had a few playdates.   That evening we went to Mark and Margot’s farewell party.  I cannot even get into writing about how much I’ll miss Margot and how much she’s impacted my life.   I cannot get into that yet because she still has two weeks left and I’m not ready to pre-grieve.   I just want to enjoy my time with her while she’s here and then feel sad when she’s gone.   Anyway, the party was fun and I’m glad we were there.

Margot used (and taught us how to use) the saber to open champagne! So fun!  PS- Don't judge, yes I have on the same dress as I wore for the AWA luncheon.  I just got this old favorite uni dress fixed at tailor and now I cannot stop wearing it!  LOL.



Today Zoë finally learned to ride her bike! I am so proud of her.  Yes, it’s much later than your average child and that’s our fault.   We haven’t taken her out enough and it’s not feasible directly from our house.   Regardless, she’s got it now! I love watching her silent determination and then her sense of accomplishment.   Go Zoë! 





Who knows when this will actually post because we haven’t had internet since Thursday morning.  We’ve made several requests, but so far, nothing.   Of course, no one works on Sundays, so it wouldn’t happen today anyway….   (Finally got internet on Tuesday night...five days later after many, many phone calls!)

TWO WEEKS UNTIL NEW ZEALAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THREE WEEKS UNTIL USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  


PS-  Check out price of a 4 kilogram turkey here (about 9 pounds)- $158 FJD or $79 USD!!!!    Yes, you have to really want a traditional Thanksgiving to buy it!  Happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Comments