Sota Tale Margot and family....



It's that time again.  Time for another brutal farewell.    I am sometimes surprised that I continue to have such tough farewells.  After a while, you'd think it would get easier.   After Wendy's last year, I didn't think another one could be as tough.....but here we go again.

Except, now, I'm learning that even though these goodbyes (see you later's) are so hard, they are good too.  I'm so thankful that I've had these people in my life because they've all changed me for the better.  They've allowed me to grow into who I am.

That's definitely the case with Margot.   Margot moves to Addis, Ethiopia next week.   We leave for vacation this week so Friday is the last day I will have with her for some time.   I know with Margot I will see her again.  I can feel it.   Nonetheless, it's sad.

It's sad happy because Margot has helped shape me into a better person.  From the first time I spoke to her at book club, I knew I liked her. I remember telling my girlfriends back home that I had met someone with whom I had a real connection.   She's a tiny bit older than me, so I told my girlfriends that I thought I  found my mentor.   It turned out to be true.  She has become a  mentor in so many ways.  She has helped awaken the side of me that believes in advocacy and gender equality.  Paired with the current culture of "me too," her friendship has activated a part of me that I hadn't fully explored.   I am so much more aware of biased gender roles and presumptions and feel charged to do something about it.  I feel invigorated to stand up for people who may not or cannot speak for themselves.  I feel connected to my gender more than I may have ever been.  She's helped me to see all of this and for that I'm grateful. 

I forgot to write about this in my Thanksgiving post.  Last week we were running on Thanksgiving morning and we ran past a man walking on the sea wall. He said, "Good morning babies." Margot stopped dead in her tracks and turned around to face him.   She said, "Excuse me.  What did you call us?  We are not your babies.  Don't say that to women.  It's rude and disrespectful. We don't like it."  He apologized in shame over and over and we kept running with our heads held high.  Yes! It felt so good!  I was so proud of her and felt completely liberated in that moment!

Our friendship is much more than me being alerted to the issues.  We talk about parenting, friendships, our adventures, our families, exercise, books, everything.   I value her advice.  We laugh a lot! We have the same sense of humor.  We mostly see one another when we run which I've always believed creates special bonds among running friends.  There is something about talking as you run that allows you to share anything.  I think it's less intense than looking in someone's eyes and telling your deepest fears, aspirations, etc.  Instead, you run side by side, facing the world together, and sharing your life as you run.   Many of my closest friends are my running friends and I don't think that's just a coincidence.

I deeply admire Margot for who she is as a friend, as a professional, and as a mother.  I will forever be a better person for having her in my life.  For now it's goodbye......  Sota tale Margot.  Thank you for your friendship.  XO
















Comments