school assembly

I have just come back from a pleasant morning.  I went to the weekly primary school assembly.  It was so cute and reminded me a lot of morning meetings at the girls' old schools.  There were awards for caring, recognition of birthdays, and songs about making the world a better place, in addition to the school song and Fijian national anthem.   I plan to video tape it at some  point because it really is beautiful.  I absolutely love looking around and seeing such a multicultural crowd.   I am thrilled that my children have this experience.   I always wanted that for them in the states, but unfortunately schools seem to be so segregated in the states, or at least the ones that were available to us.    After the song about making the world a better place, the principal asked what ways can we fix the world.  A child volunteered that we should not pollute our world.   The principal elaborated by saying, yes, we should always place our rubbish in the rubbish bin.    I wonder if Andie and Zoe had any idea of what she was talking about.  They'll soon learn!  (Andie is already telling me that her teacher is "cross because all of the children act like they are on holiday").   The meeting definitely helped me feel more connected to the school and community.  (Side note- a mom sitting next to me pointed out the lice we could see crawling all over a blonde child's head two rows up.  Geesh.)  We also had a meeting at the school last night where we got to meet the teachers and then afterwards a Bula Vinaka (Welcome) party for the parents that included free alcohol!  That was the first time I've drank wine at an elementary school!
This is not the blonde with the lice by the way!  


After the meeting, I bought some extra school uniforms, ran errands with a friend, and then went running with a new Australian friend, Wendy.  Wendy is amazing!  She speaks fluent Fijian to her housekeeper and to her kids when she is able.   She takes private lessons.   I am inspired!  She also helps out at several local charities and visits patients at the  hospital regularly.  She said after a few months here of drinking coffee every day with friends she had to jump in and get more involved (on an unofficial level).  If I am not working as a school counselor (my dream job) helping kids, I need to be helping somewhere.  Wendy told me a lot about the way disabled children are treated here and the rampant abuse that occurs.   She told me the story of Suhit Kumar (http://www.thehappyhometrust.com/about-us/our-history/) and all of the different ways I could help out organizations like these.  I feel very moved to be of help somehow ..so as soon as I learn to drive the car (that we got yesterday!!!! YIPPPEEE!!!)  I am going to look into things.   I will start trying to drive this weekend as a start!  

Tonight the Australian High Commission is celebrating Australian day.  We got on the guest list, so I am looking forward to a night of drinking, eating. listening to music, and swimming with the Aussies!  I reckon it will be quite fun! 

Comments

  1. This is so great, Kate! The school seems really sweet and I love the stories of who you are meeting. And the British/Aussie teminology... it's going to be your regular lexicon soon enough :) We've been back in the States (funny how once you live abroad you say States, not US), my kids STILL say cross, rubbish and lift! Give the girls hugs for us. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment