BNN





Beginning on January 1 we started a new commitment...at least for 6 months.  We were inspired by our friends Ken and Uli to try to go for an extended period of time without buying anything new- "Buy Nothing New" or otherwise known as BNN.   Warren's recent trip to the states reconfirmed the commitment as he noted how crazy the consumerism is there. (Although, while he was in the states he broke BNN and bought a few items we would never be able to get here - running gear mostly).  Otherwise, we've had a completely successful go at it.  I can see it is going to be tough in some ways though.  So far, I've wanted to buy goggles, an umbrella, a french press, a super cute dress, and a bucket. The girls' have lost a pair of goggles and wear them daily in the pool.   I am having them share a pair and we have a pair that doesn't work too well as well.  It's always tempting to buy another pair....but I won't.   The umbrella is no biggie because who cares if we get wet!?   Our coffee french press (called plunger here) has broken but I feel it's still usable.  Hopefully Warren won't be swallowing any broken glass and make me eat my words...  I saw a super cute dress at a shop in Pac Harbour....and I know it would be perfect for my girls' weekend.   I am so tempted to go buy one right before we leave for the states in 6 months but that defeats the whole purpose.  I will have to get looking for something cute and used.  My housekeeper has asked for a new bucket....I'm sort of just avoiding that...but will have to face it sometime.  I am sure I can find an old bucket somewhere! Oh...also, Andie needs a recorder for school.  I wonder if it is ok to buy this as it's a school supply and I think using someone else's recorder may be gross...but I am still debating this one in my head.

We have allowed ourselves to buy consumables and kindle books....oh and underwear and shoes.  Those things are impossible to buy used here and pretty gross.   Otherwise...nothing new!  I am really committed as we just have TOO MUCH STUFF. It disgusts me really.  I hope the lifestyle change kicks off a permanent one.

PS- on top of this change...I am not drinking for the month of February and I am trying to also give up sugar...just for this month.  It really doesn't help though that Warren just brought back my FAVORITE treats from Trader Joe's and the open package is constantly calling to me.  Maybe I need to extend the sugar rule to March too....


Here is a little blurb I found out BNN.  Anyone want to do it with us?!

What is this? Why By Nothing New?
Buy Nothing New Month is the global movement for collective, conscientious consumption.

It's a little idea, that started in Melbourne and is spreading to the Netherlands and USA.

In 2011, Sydney Morning Herald ran a poll asking "is Buy Nothing New Month a good idea?" Over 10,000 voted. 82% said "yes"

It's a one month challenge to buy nothing new (with the exception of essentials like food, hygiene and medicines)

Buy Nothing New Month isn't Buy Nothing New Never. Nor is it about going without.

It's literally about taking one month off to really think, "Do I really need it?" If I do, "can I get it second-hand, borrow it or rent it? What are my alternatives? Can I borrow from a friend? Can I swap with my neighbor?"

It's about thinking where our stuff comes from (finite resources) and where it goes when we're done (often landfill) and what are the fantastic alternatives out there to extend the life of our 'stuff'.

It's easy. It's fun. It's moving from consumption-driven to community-driven.

It's good for us, our wallets and our planet.

Hop on board!

Comments

  1. Do you still need a recorder? I can get you a used one and send it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment