Difficult farewell and a new toy

I've said it before and I know I will say it again, besides being so far away from family and friends, the constant goodbyes are the hardest thing about living here.   You make a connection with someone, and then they leave.   It can start to make you want to live in a little hole, where it's better not to make the connections at all.....but then you remember that connections are what keep you going from day to day and really - what life is all about.   As Winnie the Pooh said, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard."

Last Friday, Andie's amazing teacher and my dear friend and colleague, Helena, left for Sydney.   This goodbye hit me twice as hard because not only did I grieve for losing my closest friend at work - my go to person, but also mourned for Andie - losing one of the best teachers she's ever had mid-year.  Helena's radiant personality shines through her daily interactions with students and everyone she comes across - glowing through her smile.  I always knew I had a safe place to go to when school got tough for me, and that she truly loved my child.  Andie knew that too.   She not only loved Andie, but I think genuinely liked her - adored  her quirks and totally appreciated her complete uniqueness.   Where it may drive me crazy that Andie is the last one out of the door, one shoe off and backpack open, Helena found it charming.  She loved that Andie danced to her own tune.   One night when Andie was really upset, wanting to be prettier and more well-liked, I shared the story with Helena.  She promptly wrote the most beautiful, personal, heart-felt letter to Andie - one that we will both treasure forever.   Who's teacher does that?!    She got Andie to love math and to write without worrying about her spelling but to focus on her creativity, keeping her confident in her strengths - while still focusing on spelling at another time.

I already miss her here at school.    BUT.....we will see her again in Sydney, I'm sure of it!  We must visit ASAP!

We decided to be proud of our "gummy" smiles






We had a farewell party for Helena and Denny at our house where they ended up in the pool!

At school, we had a farewell party, a wish you well circle, and the kids/parents gave her a book, a photo, and a framed piece of artwork by Irami Buli.   It was a good send off.  











The staff sang Isa Lei.  Isn't it beautiful?   We then walked her out to say goodbye.





walking back after goodbye.  good friends. 






We got some road side snacks on the way home.  Pineapple, watermelon, and coconut.  Yum!




new book on American women who've persisted.  Andie loved it.





We also said goodbye to Teyla, Chrystal, and Nida.   This family has taken in my girls without question.  Nida was always there to help me out and Andie has always sought refuge in Teyla.  They are good, good friends and we will miss them terribly.  Suva won't be the same without them!







Andie applied as an extra for a movie.  She wanted to make this video. I think it's perfect!





On a positive note, we got a trampoline!!!!  After MUCH deliberation and fear of broken limbs, we went for it.  The kids are beyond stoked!  We put up the net today but no pictures yet.





It was also American Father's Day on Sunday.   We missed Glen a lot, but cherished the moments with Warren and enjoyed talking to my dad.  So incredibly blessed to have these men in my life - they both have showed me what it means to be valued and just what great men there are in the world.  




Thank goodness we have all this lovely local fruit, since imported fruit costs SO much!





And....................one week to the day until the Horniks arrive!!!!!  So excited I already cannot sleep!

Comments