Zoë's 7th birthday letter



 My dearest Zoë,
     You are seven!  You have been waiting and waiting for this day for a long time.  You love birthdays and have everyone’s birthday memorized.  You love the gifts, the parties, the fun….. you don’t love the attention.    One of your favorite questions to ask people is, “When is your birthday?”  Maybe one day you will be really into astrology, who knows?  
      This last year has been a good one for you.   You are now reading with complete ease.  In fact, you are at the highest reading level in your year one class!   You are motivated to get your homework done and enjoy reading whenever you get the chance.  You are proud of your reading and are so much more independent now! In the last year, your best friend, Tahli, moved away but you’ve been ok. I know you miss her but you have so many friends Zoë.   Your friends are drawn to you.  Every morning when I walk into school with you, you are greeted by a half dozen little girls, very excited to see you.  I imagine you love that warm reception of hugs and smiles.   You are confident in your leadership with friends your age and you never come across like you are trying too hard to impress anyone.   You let people know that you like them, but you don’t try too hard.  You only write that you love me, never say it.  I know that I am your person.  I know you love me with your whole heart, so I don’t need to hear you say it back when I tell you over and over how much I love you!  Whenever you write me or Daddy or Andie a card, you tell us you love us.  When I asked you why you cannot say the words to your loved ones, you told me you are too embarrassed to say it.   That’s ok baby.  We will keep showering you in our love all of the time and know that you love us in return.  Everyone loves you sweetie! 
       When I asked your teacher, Ms. Renee, if you are more of a leader or follower, I barely got out the question before she interrupted me and answered quickly, “A LEADER”!.     I LOVE that about you.  You have confidence among your friends.   Now, when it comes to older girls, I cannot say you are the leader.  You are actually the perfect follower.  You sit back and watch and admire and quietly follow.   You know how to make your presence small and just observe.   You love older girls and fit in quite well with them.   I cannot say I love you hanging out with older kids… .but it seems to happen regularly and you just fit.   It’s probably good for you to go between being the dominant one with your same aged friends to being more of the follower with Andie’s friends and older girls.  
       You still adore your sister.  This year, you all decided to separate and sleep in different bedrooms.  It lasted about 3 weeks and after many “sleepovers’ you both decided to move back in together.  My heart nearly burst I was so happy.   You two argue, but you laugh SO much together.   You have a closeness that is special, something I always longed for as a girl.    You can play for hours on end without disagreements.   You look up to Andie for approval and acceptance.  She makes you laugh and you crack her up.  I love it.
     Zoë, you excel at SO many things.  You are an awesome gymnast.  You received the gold medal this year in your gymnastics competition.  You were SO anxious before the competition, you couldn’t even sleep.  You talked about it all of the time, but when it came to performing, you were flawless.  You are a strong swimmer.  Your swim coach is always telling me how impressed he is with your strength, your drive, and your motivation.  Again, you were so nervous before the national swim meet last weekend.  You woke up daily asking about the routine of the day, but when it came down to it, you did an amazing job!   You swam your heart out and despite the fact you didn’t medal like you’d hoped, you swam with the most impressive times and you were by far the youngest in your group!   You were also nervous before your dance performance, but you were radiant in your solo!   It was awesome to watch!   When you set your mind to do something, you do it so well!    You do cartwheels and handstands non-stop.  You are getting a six pack because your core is so strong!  Sometimes I feel guilty that we are here because if you really wanted to achieve at these sporting activities, you could it better in the States, but then I remember you are still young and it’s ok to not take everything so seriously. 
      You have the sweetest, most innocent, baby looking face.  You get a lot of attention because you are so darn cute, but you really don’t like the attention, so you are shy when others dote on you.   Lucky for you, your big sister thrives on attention, and usually takes over giving you a respite from the adoration.   Even though you look so innocent and have a baby like face, you sense of humor is crazy advanced.  You are so funny!   You’ve always had this natural comedic timing.  You love all things inappropriate and know exactly how to get laugh in the most inappropriate ways.  You have the most expressive facial expressions.  
   You still have a quick temper at home, but not at school.  You lose your patience quickly with your sister and frustrate easily if you cannot do something you attempt or you feel misunderstood.  You are slowly getting better at using your words instead of pinching or hitting but you still need practice.   If I were to tell your teachers or friends this about you, they would be shocked, but at home we know this side of you.    
     You are adventurous with amusement park rides, always wanting something scarier or more thrilling – laughing the whole ride.  You love to travel and you impressed me when we were in Asia at how adept you were at navigating taxis, tuk-tuks, and airports.   You love boys more than I’d hope for and seem to have a certain affinity towards one little boy, Fardeen.    You talk about him like he is truly your boyfriend.   You always have had one close/best friend but are very good friends with many.   Right now your bestie is Allora.  You two giggle so much together! 
    You still carry around a blankie that looks like a raggedy mop head.   It stinks and is grey and looks disgusting, but you love thing beyond measure.   You suck your thumb and stroke your blankie any time you are tired.  You love to cuddle and fall asleep instantly.  You love to drape your leg over me or Daddy so you can fall asleep knowing we are there.   You announce when you are tired and you don’t worry about missing out if it means you can go to sleep.   
        You are so responsible.  You remember to tell me to text the bus driver to tell him if you are not going to ride (I need the reminders!).  You pack your bag every night and remember your library books and know what days you have swimming, gymnastics, etc.    You keep track of your things and would never skip your homework, even if I said it was ok.    You are a rule follower and want others to follow the rules as well.   You are a complex, beautiful, funny, talented, smart little girl.   You are the center of our world and we love you more than any birthday letter can express.   I KNOW you will do great things in life.  I’m honored to be a part of it. 

Love,
Mama



7!




age 6


Age 5



age 4





 age 3


age 2

Photo
age 1
birth

Comments