Book Club and Fish Walk

Book Club

  I am a part of two book clubs.  One book club is connected to the PTFA for the girls' school and tends to be more self-help, parenting type of books.  The other book club is connected to the UN and seems to be mostly fiction books.   I love both book clubs, but honestly have a hard time reading two books a month.  All too often, I opt to chill out in front of the tv/computer at night instead of engage my brain in books.   Because of this, I did not finish the most recent book for the UN women's book club. (Honestly, I hardly started it).   I debated going to the meeting at all, but was intrigued because it was an Iranian book hosted by an Iranian woman living in Suva.  I am SO glad I went.

    I love this book club.  It is so diverse.   The group that night consisted of two women from South and Central America, two Americans, one Russian, one German, one Brit, one Palestinian, and two Iranians (I think that's right).    Anyway, how often am I in such a heterogeneous group like that?  Opportunities like this seem rare in the states anyway.   Often at this book club, I feel like the most ignorant person at the table.  While it is a little unsettling, I love soaking up the knowledge of these worldly women.  Perhaps it is an unfair generalization, but I feel like Americans are so much less aware of world events than the rest of the world.   We spoke about the Iranian revolution and all of it's implications and consequences.  We talked about the conflicts in the middle east, but we also laughed about bath houses, shaving, and motherhood.
 
    I ate dinner before I left because I had no idea what a feast I would walk into.   The hostess made the most delicious Iranian meal.  I ended up eating two dinners (mine at home and the scrumptious feast)..  so much for me trying to lose weight!  But really, how could I turn it down?  I am not offered Iranian food too often in life.   Yum! I hope I get to experience a meal like that again!   I am hosting this book club in September.   Oh geesh.  I cannot cook.   What kind of American meal can I serve 10+ women?!  Yikes!

Appetizers

The feast


Fish Walk

    I have a friend here who is SO involved.  She has such a go-getter personality and knows everyone and everything about here.  I am glad she is here at the same time as I am because she has organized the coolest things.  Recently, she arranged for the American Women's Association to take a walk through the fish market with a fish scientist who knows EVERYTHING about fish (what is safe to buy, what to look for, and everything you could imagine to ask about).   Warren was interested in going as well, so after my long run, we had a brunch date and then headed to the fish market for our walk about.   It was so awesome to go on a brunch date with Warren.... I don't know the last time we went to breakfast together.   The fish walk, while interesting....wasn't exactly my cup of tea.  I am glad I went, but all it really did was freak me out about fish.   We walked through the fish market, and  after about 30 minutes of looking at smelly fish, I couldn't handle it anymore.   The fish smell and crowd got the best of me and I had to get out of there.   The vendors don't put the fish on ice, which apparently is fine because the tropical water is warm...but it was a bit difficult for me to get past.   Anyway, it is cool that all of this fresh fish is available to us...and at such good rates.  We get our tuna delivered to our house weekly so we have fresh sashimi tuna that is phenomenal every Thursday.

















This is how I felt by the end....

Comments

Post a Comment