Shopping experiences

Image result for rups big bear fiji
One of the big stores here in Suva




    This morning I had a typical shopping experience here.  SO many of my shopping trips are just like this one.....  too many to even blog about...but here is the general way things seem to go here...

     After boot camp this morning I decided to head over to Rups Big Bear to buy a hamper.   Rups is the closest thing we have to a Wal-Mart here, but it is more like a huge flea market.   Our nice basket hamper suddenly became covered in mold.  (Lately everything here is becoming moldy...pictures, books, clothes.   I need advice on this....)  Regardless, it was time for a new hamper.  I always debate going places after working out due to my sweaty odor and because I finally wear shorts now....just to the gym.   I decided to be risque and wear the shorts to the store too....    

    I walk into the store on the third floor and ask the attendants if they have laundry hampers there.   They look at me like I am speaking a completely different language.  I see a man walk by holding a hamper.   I point to him and ask where can I find one of those?   They direct me to the ground floor.  I push the button for the elevator but when it opens, I immediately decide it's not a good idea due to the condition of the floor, walls, etc.  My claustrophobia kicks in and I don't want to be stuck on that rickety elevator.  I make my way down three different stair cases to the ground floor and ask one of the employees where the laundry hampers are.  She tells me they do not have laundry hampers.  I try to explain to her that upstairs they told me they do have them and I've actually seen a customer with one.  She just smiles at me and says, "We don't have them here."  I decide to search myself.  I find them labeled as "laundry baskets for $3" ---  should have said laundry baskets. I pick out two and go to the cash register right next to the baskets.  She tells me she is  not available although it looks to me like she is just sitting there staring off into space.   I go upstairs since I am parked on that level and go to the first cashier I see.  She tells me she can not ring up baskets on this level since I purchased them on the ground level.  I go back downstairs past my original cashier and find another one willing to take me.   She tells me that will be $13.50.  I tell her the sign said $3 each.  She takes 5 minutes to go and look at the sign and comes back to tell me the sign is wrong.  I hand her a $50 bill and she asks if I have anything smaller because she cannot make change (very, very common here).   I don't have anything so she has to go upstairs to another cashier to get change (probably the one that wouldn't take me).   She comes  back 5 minutes later and gives me my change.  She tries to put the hampers in a bag and I tell her I can just carry them.   She then ties the plastic bags to the handles of the basket and tells me I should at least take the bags.  I don't argue...but feel confused as to why I need more plastic bags.    I finally carry the hampers back up three flights of stairs, show the attendant my receipt, and head home!    

    These little shopping trips don't bother me.  I am used to them now.  I kind of think they are just funny and slightly charming.  What will I do when I return to the states and customer service is back?

Comments

  1. Not too different from SVG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar Tina! I've started a blog post about the similarities and differences between the two! Hopefully I'll finish it soon! You and a few others will be the only ones interested in it though!

      Delete
    2. Very similar Tina! I've started a blog post about the similarities and differences between the two! Hopefully I'll finish it soon! You and a few others will be the only ones interested in it though!

      Delete
    3. Very similar Tina! I've started a blog post about the similarities and differences between the two! Hopefully I'll finish it soon! You and a few others will be the only ones interested in it though!

      Delete

Post a Comment