Far away from the hate

I’ve been feeling far away and disconnected from home.  Not from my family or friends, but just cannot believe what has happened 45 minutes away from where I grew up.   Actually, I can believe it and I’m not even that surprised by it.   It’s just so sad and disgusting and hateful.  I find myself reading Facebook with  my mouth open in disgust at the amount of hate in comments.   The good thing is that as a result, I am finding myself in conversations about race among friends and even with my husband, as we all challenge each other's beliefs and once again remind each other of the white privilege we benefit from.  Things feel bad.   I'm lucky because it's not in my face every day.  I'm privileged because I can choose when to have these conversations instead of living with hatred and fear in my daily life.   I don't know what the answer is except to keep talking - to keep educating myself- to keep listening.    I do know I'm grateful I'm not at "home" right now.  I don't mean to be hurtful to my family or friends when I say that... but it's true.  Instead of wishing I was home, I'll decide to wish everyone I love was here with me too - instead of there - what appears to me- a place of hatred, poor leadership, and conflict.   (Not to mention, Fiji is listed as one of the safest places in the world if there is a World War III.)

Come stay with me here in Fiji- enjoy this sunset and this simple joy- something I do my best to not take for granted.  Come listen to these beautiful voices, I heard once again this week.  For these things, I am grateful.







Comments