shocked and so sad





It's 10:13 pm here and I cannot sleep because I am in disbelief that America has chosen him to be our leader.  I'm speechless.   Andie has cried herself to sleep and I'm ready to do the same.  I started the day off so hopeful.   I believed in the history we were making.  Now.... now I don't even know what to think or believe.  I know I need to show hope for my daughters.....but I just feel so despondent.   I need a day to grieve before I can put on a hopeful face.   I'm so sad for what this means for America and what the majority of our population feels.....    Hearing my mom's voice was tough too...

I can say I'm so glad I don't live there.  I love living in my little happy bubble in the South Pacific.  I do feel sorry for the people who do....not the privileged Americans who I know.....but the immigrants and refugees and women and Muslims and children and everyone else.....

Here are a few things......   and a few pictures of the more hopeful/happy/historical part of my day and some articles/posts that resonate with me.

HRC


Painting nails to get ready.

blue beer and a smile on his face...still early

good food spread
Ms. Pantsuit, you can just call her NASTY
still feeling positive at that point....


You can tell I am starting to get nervous here....

blue drink...
Hillary casserole

the start........


towards the end


Girls doing a cheer for Hillary




A post from Pantsuit Nation- my inspiration all day.  Love that group....

Things this election can't take from me:
-My integrity
-My feminism
-My belief that Black Lives Matter
-My respect for the immigrant and minority communities who have shaped America since day one, and my compassion for their plight
-My love and support of the LGBT community
-My hope that America will put down its guns
-My desire to understand an America I clearly did not know well enough
-My ability to organize and act
-My hope


A good article I just read:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2016/11/talking_to_kids_especially_daughters_about_a_donald_trump_presidential_victory.html


A picture of my friend's daughter's watching the results with us.  Heartbreaking....



This was just written by John Pavlovitz and it describes my grief perfectly:

 
I think you believe this is all just sour grapes; the crocodile tears of the losing locker room with the scoreboard going against us at the buzzer.
    
    
  
They have aligned with the wall-builder and the professed p*ssy-grabber, and they have co-signed his body of work, regardless of the reasons they give for their vote:
Every horrible thing Donald Trump ever said about women or Muslims or people of color has now been validated.
Every profanity-laced press conference and every call to bully protestors and every ignorant diatribe has been endorsed.
Every piece of anti-LGBTQ legislation Mike Pence has championed has been signed-off on.
 
  
 
   
  


It’s not about one’s ideas over another’s.
 
 
  
indecency.
It’s about overt racism and hostility toward minorities.
It’s about religion being weaponized.


  
   
 
 
 
And this is why we grieve.


This is a Facebook post of a dear friend:

Dear Alice and Charlie. I am sorry. I am so so sorry. 8 years ago we thought we were on the path to leave you a better world than we found, just like our parents and grand parents did.Yes, we didn't quite have the whole climate change thing under control yet, but there was hope. But we didn't. We will not leave you a better world. Tonight we failed you beyond what we could have imagined. I am no sure how it happened. People will offer plenty of theories. But in the end, we thought the world was in a better place than it actually is. There are still too many people out there who think that it is ok to be racist and sexist and to leave poor people in the gutter. We will keep on fighting. Your mom and I, our friends, and our families just do not know any other way. I am not sure how yet. It is difficult to even think about getting back up right now. But we will. We have no other choice. And yet I know that no matter how much we fight, sadly the work will not be done when you come of age. I apologize for that. Maybe it never will be. I need you, and your cousins, and friends to know, however, that wherever they hail from, whatever the color of their skin, whether they are girls or boys, there is nothing they cannot accomplish. There is no place where you and your friends don't belong. In the end we wil overcome. You will overcome. You have to. You are the future and have to be better than we are. I love you more than you can ever imagine.
Image may contain: 2 people , sky, ocean, tree, beach, mountain, outdoor and nature









Here is a letter from my friend's kids' principal in Brooklyn..... crazy that principals are sending letters:

Dear Families,

After last night’s election, I felt compelled to do something for our staff and students.  It was an emotional night and I can imagine how our community is feeling after this tumultuous election.  The first thing I thought is, what will we tell the children?  How will I inspire my staff and community?  Today we started with a restorative circle for the staff.  How can the staff take care of our children without first unpacking all the emotional burdens they may carry?  Teachers were allowed to unpack their feelings and discuss how we can support our children. 

From the article “What do we tell the children?” 

“Tell them, first, that we will protect them.  Tell them, that you will honor the outcome of the election, but that you will fight bigotry.  Tell them bigotry is not a democratic value, and it will not be tolerated at our school.”

Each classroom will have done a restorative circle this morning, where children are allowed to unpack their feeling and rule out any confusions around the democratic process.  The most important message is that we, the adults, are here to protect them.  We as a school are going to work towards protecting the democratic process. We can look to history for examples of times when we as people came together in moments that felt very hard. 

Jackie Allen, I.A. Principal



Comments

  1. ....still in shock and trying to process this election....thinking back, I remember seeing Trump "groupy" signs and thought it must be a joke!...then I researched and found FaceBook pages and websites where the very people who were being insulted the most, were going on and on about how they were still going to vote for him....that's right, the very people he offended the most still looked past the insults.....--->>> Blacks for Trump, Latinos for Trump, Muslims for Trump, Women for Trump, LGBTQ for Trump....and many more....do ANY of these groups make sense to you????
    Today some people are saying they're DONE with voting.....but Voting wasn't the problem......Trump is a con artist who knew exactly what to say and do to get people to buy into his madness.....there were white people who came out in droves who had never even voted before because they understood loud and clear that "Make America Great Again" really meant "Make America WHITE Again"...the sad part is that people like us thought that our country has become much too diverse for someone like him to win........
    Sadly, at school today, there were Hispanic kids who got off the bus crying because they're worried about family members getting deported!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Twitty, I've thought so much about the Latino students at Bethesda and elsewhere and how scared they must be right now. I've thought about Atlanta and our home. I really cannot believe what's happened, but I think we are just in a major whitelash from Obama's presidency. I wish you were here so we could sit and discuss and discuss and discuss!

      Delete

Post a Comment