PC Fiji group 93 swears in!



Before I begin my post about the amazing swearing in yesterday, Happy Birthday Mom!  You deserve the best today!  I love you!

Yesterday, was the swearing in for the 93rd group of Peace Corps Volunteers to serve in Fiji. It was AWESOME!  I feel so proud to be a part (kind of) of such an incredible organization.   I teared up a few times just knowing the adventure/life changing experience that awaits these dedicated men and women.    My Peace Corps experience is a huge part of who I am, and I believe that's true for all volunteers.  I am so impressed by the volunteers!  I'm also so proud of Warren and the Peace Corps staff for all of their hard work and dedication the past few months.  

All of the home-stay families come in for the swearing in.  They come dressed in Kalavata with their volunteer to show support.  The colors in the audience were amazing.  I had to keep glancing behind me just to see the beauty.   And, then....when the audience sang the Fijian national anthem.....whoa! Talk about beauty.  I had chills.  I've never heard a group of strangers harmonize like that.   I had chills!   I wish I could have recorded it.   Then, we sang the American National Anthem.....I wish I could say the same...but it was still nice.

One of the most amazing things about the whole evening is that the Prime Minister of Fiji, Josaia Voreqe Bainimarama, attended and spoke at the swearing in!    How incredible!   When I told Zoe and Andie he was coming, Zoe immediately asked, "Oh, is Barack Obama coming too?"  I guess in her eyes one of head of state is the same as another.    Even though it wasn't Barack, it was so special to have Bainimarama there.   He gave a great speech and laughed along with Kevin, the Peace Corps volunteer who spoke on behalf of all the others, giving his 5 minute speech in Fjiian without flaw.   He was also super impressed with the volunteer's meke (traditional dance).  I saw him take out his i-phone and record the dance.  

While the girls may have been bored during the ceremony, they loved the meke and had a blast eating cake, dancing to the band, and running around in the field post ceremony.   It was such a pleasant day.


Check out the color in this crowd!



The prime minister is there in the middle.


The volunteers taking their oath

prime minister

boys meke (see video below)



volunteers dancing on the lawn

Love Diane's dress!

Peace Corps staff photo bombed by volunteer

me and my lovely girls

silly faces

model pose

Peace Corps family - so proud of Warren!

my artistic Andie















side note- I only got this one (not so great) picture from Halloween.   Love that they got to go trick or treating!








Comments