Senior Placing

This Saturday I ran in the Suva Challenge half marathon with some friends.   The race started Saturday at 6 am and I finished around 8am.    Even though it was early, it was HOT and HUMID.  
The day before I drank LOADS of water and coconut water and got a good night's rest, so I was ready on race morning.   It turns out that age 40 and above is the senior category, so for the first time in my life, I ran as a senior!   It turned out to be a good thing or else I would have never placed.

I felt great in the first half and ran it in a respectable time.  The second half was TOUGH.  I was just so hot and tired.  I slowed significantly, but I finished.   Even though my time was not respectable in most races, I came in fourth overall and first in the senior category!  We won't talk about how many people were in the race overall.....but hey....  I'll take the win!  It's probably the only time EVER in my life I will be able to say I've come in first in a half marathon, so I'll take it.  My running buddies came in first and second!!!!  (Their times were very respectable!)    I am so proud of them!  

When the race finished I was knackered beyond belief.  I actually thought I may be sick.   I was totally wrecked.  I drank two coconuts, ate some watermelon, and used a huge piece of ice to cool down my body.  Even after that huge block of ice, I couldn't cool off.   It took way longer than usual to just feel human again.  

When I got home we packed and headed towards Pacific Harbour for the Uprising Music Festival.   When I think back about getting ready/packing, it feels like a dream.  Everything felt like slow motion....  I was pretty out of it.   At the risk of oversharing....., I finally peed after all of that liquid pre, during, and post race and my urine was basically brown.  I was crazy dehydrated, which is weird because I had a huge amount of fluid intake.    Anyway, when we got to the Pearl Warren and I each had a beer then caught a ride to the festival.  I drank a water but then had another beer.   After about one hour of being there (which was really fun at first) I had severe cramping in my side and in my gut.  I felt terrible.  I didn't even think I could walk back to the parking lot to get a ride home.  I eventually did and just sat in our cool, dark hotel room drinking powerade and watching bad movies on tv.  It took me forever to stop cramping and feel like a human again.    By Sunday, I was feeling somewhat more normal, just tired.     Today, Tuesday (three days later) I'm back to normal and was able to exercise again.  I don't know how I got SO completely dehydrated or why I felt so sick.  Maybe it's part of this getting old thing.....

Liz, Andy, Wendy, Lach, and all of their kids came up to meet us in Pac Harbour for the day.  It turned out to be a lovely beach day with good friends and family.   The kids had a blast and we all got some good quality time with one another.  

Yesterday at work, one of the teachers told me they saw my name in the paper for winning in my category! I cannot say that's ever happened to me before either.  :)  
And....now on to election day......Yikes!  So nervous for tomorrow!!!

running bddies!  Congrats Kati and Laura!!!

I may look happy but I felt wrecked!


beach day!

Go Kati!  excerpt from the Fiji Sun

Comments