Bula attire

As I've mentioned before, there is a traditional way of dress here in Fiji, but it's not only for ceremonies.  It's the sort of attire you see around all of the time.  It's typical work/church wear...very common.  The clothes are similar to what you would imagine seeing in Hawaii....that bright, colorful, flowery print.   It's usually conservative (down to the ankles, covering shoulders, higher neck) and called a sulu jaba.   I had to borrow a sulu jaba for the ambassador's farewell ceremony and the new ambassador's welcome ceremony, so I knew I had to get one or two of my own for certain occasions here in Fiji.

The American Women's Association organized a lunch with the ambassador at the embassy to welcome her to Fiji.   For the event, we were all asked to wear bula attire (sula jabas). The good news is it's so easy to have clothing made here!  There are tailors everywhere and it is how so many people attain their wardrobe.  It was even made easier with AWA because one of the board members arranged for a fashion designer to meet us in the fabric store to design our sulu jabas and to help us pick out the right material.  It was so much fun to do this as a group.   I actually ended up getting two, one less conservative, and one I can wear in the villages and at formal ceremonies.    It's pretty common for families to dress alike, so our whole family is going to totally cheese it up, as I purchased a bula shirt for Warren, dresses for the girls, and a sulu jaba for me all in the same material.   (Pictures will be posted once all items are finished).  

This experience was so much fun!  Here are some pictures of the ladies and I in are island wear.   Aren't the colors fun?

These are the four ladies I went with to pick out fabric and had fitting parties together...




All the women who had their sulus made by the local fashion designer

The girls were surprised to come home and find me in a dress.

Bonnie, this one if for you since you say I don't post enough pictures of myself!  Lol. 



Comments